Saturday, January 31, 2009

Finnish Wonder Part 42

As Val drove me to the hospital for my check up I noticed that he was extremely nervous. His forehead had beads of sweat on it and he always did this thing with his lips where he stuck the bottom one out a little. I set my hand on his thigh, "Why are you so nervous hun?"

"Nervous? I'm not nervous, what are you talking about?" he laughed it off.

"Val, come on. It's a little obvious."

"Ok, I just want everything to be alright with the baby. I don't want anything to go wrong."

I smiled at him as we pulled into the parking lot, he held my hand on the way in tightly. We took our seats in the waiting room until a lady came through a door with a clip board, "Draper?" she looked around the room.

"That's me" I got up, pulling Val with me.

Since we had been waiting there Val had filled a plastic cup up seven times with water and gulped it down nervously. We walked down a long hallway before we came to a small room, "Right this way Mrs. Draper." she opened the door for the both of us.

I took a seat up on the chair while Val sat next to me in another chair. He played with a model of a stomach until the doctor came in. Then he stood up quickly introducing himself and shaking hands.

"Alright, lets get this over with. I can see that you're a little nervous. First time?" he questioned Val.

"Yeah" he laughed a little, sounding uncomfortable.

He grabbed my hand and kissed it while he watch the doctor prepare.

"So, we're just going to put some of this on here" he squirted the jelly all over my stomach. While pressing the wand to my stomach and rubbing it against the jelly he examined the monitor.

"Hmm, this is interesting" he moved the wand around some more.

"What? What is it, is something wrong!?" Val panicked.

"No, no. Not at all. Actually you're having twins!"

My jaw dropped as I turned to face Val, his face was lit up like a Christmas tree, "You Ok honey?" I asked him.

He leaned over and kissed me, "We're having twins! This is unbelievable. I can't wait to tell my parents. I love you hunaja." he kissed me again.

The doctor cleaned off my stomach and he wrote some things down on his clip board, "Shall I schedule another appointment then?"

"Well, actually we aren't going to be here. I'm going to have to find a doctor in Finland. That's where we're going for the summer." I explained to him.

"Oh, well if you need anything I'm just a phone call away." he shook both of our hands. The nurse gave us a picture of the ultrasound before we left. You couldn't really tell what anything was but it was certainly interesting to look at.

When we got home Val called his Mom to tell her that we were coming for the summer. I began scheduling flights and packing everything up. While I was doing that I was on the phone with Aaron who was asking me a million questions about doing laundry.

"Aaron, just press the 'normal load' button and you're all set. It's not that hard." by now he had called me tons of times, and I knew he was just making things up so he could talk to me. He was one of the best friends you could ask for.

The six days of packing things here and there had gone by fast, but we were finally in Finland, a place that was beautiful, but brought back a flood of bad memories. I wanted to start everything out fresh though, forget the past and move on. After all this would be my home in the summer and probably after Val retired from the NHL, which was a long time from now.

Val and I walked into his parents home, holding Grizz by his collar so he wouldn't jump on anyone. Practically his whole family was there, they all rang out some words in Finnish that were incomprehensible to me.

"Hello again!" Val's Mom hugged me tight.

"It's so nice to see you again Mrs. Filppula." I smiled.

"Oh don't be silly dear, call me Liisa! Oh heck you can call me Koi if you would like."

"Koi?" I had no idea what she was talking about.

Val leaned down and whispered in my ear, "It means Mom" he laughed.

"Oh, sorry" I answered back.

"It's Ok darling, I'll remember not to use Finnish that much. So Val tells me that you are going to go dress shopping here?"

"Yeah, I'm going to fly in a couple of friends. And I was hoping that you could help me too if you want?"

I knew that family meant everything to Val so I tried to include them as much as I could in the wedding. They kept insisting to pay for it but my Dad already had already insisted on doing so.

Val and I unpacked our things in the same room we had stayed in the summer before, then got cleaned up for dinner. I laid on the bed looking at a magazine while I waited for him to come out of the bathroom.

He came out with a shirt half buttoned and a black tie in his hand, "Help?" he grinned.

I climbed out of the bed and buttoned his shirt up slowly, running my hands along his hard chest as I did so. "So, I was thinking of telling them tonight. What do you think?" he asked.

"It's fine with me. Do you think they'll be happy about it?"

"I know my Mom will be. I'm not sure what my Dad will think." he kissed my forehead.

"Well, there's only one way to find out."

We sat down at the long dinner table that stretched along the whole length of the dinning room. Everyone was dressed up, which they apparently did for every dinner. Val hurried up and finished his dinner before everyone else, then stood up.

"I have some news for everyone" he announced, grabbing my hand and pulling me over to him.

Everyone set their forks down and stared at us intently, "Well go on poika" his Dad urged him.

"Well, Morgan is pregnant with twins." he said proudly, holding onto me tighter.

His Mom rushed over to us, showering us with kisses proudly. His Dad just sat there staring, then said something in Finnish that I couldn't understand. I looked at Val, "What did he say?"

"He'll be fine" he smiled trying to convince me.

Val and his Dad went outside to talk, leaving Liisa or 'Koi' and I alone. We sat in the living room talking, then she pulled the old baby albums out on me. Val was absolutely adorable, lighter blond hair than he had now, but his eyes didn't change one bit. I could only hope that our kids would have his good looks.

"If you don't mind I think I'm going to go to bed. I'm exhausted." I told her.

"Good night darling. Get some rest, I'll see you in the morning." she kissed both of my cheeks as I went to our room.

I took off my dress and pulled one of Val's T shirts out of the drawer, slipping it over my head just as he walked in. He took of his shirt and threw it in the dirty clothes bin, doing the same with his pants.

"You're sexy" I ran my fingers threw his hair.

"You have no idea how amazing you look in that. I never thought that a girl would ever wear this." he kissed me roughly. "You really like that shirt huh?" he laughed. I was wearing his white Teemu Selanne shirt from the 1990's. It was all full of holes, but it was the comfiest thing.

"Mmhm" I slid under the covers and patted the bed next to me for him to come join me.

"So, I talked to my Dad about everything." he said as he played with my fingers.

"Oh yeah?"

"Yeah, he didn't like the idea at first. But he's just going to have to get used to it."

"Well aren't you tough" I laughed.

"Yup, so when are you going dress shopping? I'm thinking that I'll go get fitted for a tux that day and call everyone to get their sizes."

"In two days, I'm flying Lacey, Madison, and Aaron over."

"Aaron? He's going to give you his opinion on a dress? I'd like to see that." he laughed.

I smacked his arm playfully, "Just because he's a hard head doesn't mean that he doesn't have a heart."

Val and I continued talking about the small details for the wedding, and I listened as he told me stories from his childhood and how much he missed this house. It was kind of nice just sitting there, listening to his voice all night.

3 comments:

Kayla Elizabeth said...

Twins??!! Word! lol.
I'm a twin so I know what it's like!

Tay Tay said...

Twins! haha, same with me. I am twin :) but my twin is a brother. I deal with it.

I LOVE this story! I check it like, every five minutes to make sure I haven't missed anything. This story rocks. Please update soon!

♥Morgan said...

Thanks for the feedback girls! I really appreciate it! =]